My Chances In The Midterm Election
![enter image description here]
Hi, I'm running for school board in one of the largest districts in Minnesota. It is hard not to get swept into the election fever this time of year and having signs with my name on it all over town is a real crazy sight. The #1 question I get right now is “how is the campaign going?” I’m not sure if it is confidence or bad luck to say, but, I feel pretty good about it. Here are some facts that make me feel pretty good about my chances;
1. There are 3 spots and 4 people so my odds are decent to start
2. I have the support of the current board and that has helped me immensely. All of them successfully won in their turn so they know some good tricks.
3. I ran the VoteYes campaign last year so my name is fairly well known in the community and I made some great connections.
4. I’m on the PTA at my school, and, I go to the school daily to pick up kids so I have a bonus ‘face time’ opportunity.
5. I have a supportive husband who reminds me to give cards to everyone, and, kids who are excited to go a lot of places around town like homecoming, trunk or treat, and trick or treating around the neighborhoods. I’ve handed out over 100 cards to strangers in our town.
I’m not going to officially count the gender bias in my favor for school board but I also can’t ignore my very female name and the fact that ‘school’ and ‘women’ tend to get put together. Given how often a female name can count against you in a political race I’ll take the freebie if it happens.
I’ve also had the good fortune to have great content handed to me with public town halls about the schools and the levy vote that have been weekly for the past 2 months. Not only did I learn from them, I also had something to publish weekly that was real and important for people to know about. Some of those articles have over 3k views on facebook! Who knows if that will translate into votes for me, my hope is that it translates into votes for the Levy question. If I don’t win, maybe about 10 people will be truly disappointed. If the levy does not pass it impacts everyone in the district and I don’t even want to talk consequences here… This is a fight for the life of our elementary school and/or the music program and both are very worth fighting for.
Just 4 more days to wait!